We transform learning, we transform lives
Heart of America transforms desolate spaces into well-designed, welcoming environments that are conducive to learning. Working with our partners, we provide educational resources and tools to enhance these environments and ensure students get the most out of the redesigned environments. In order to ensure the long-term impact of these redesigned spaces, we rigorously screen and intentionally select sites that demonstrate both a need and a commitment to sustaining the vibrant learning environment.
The need is vast
The need for school repairs is vast. In their 2013 Report Card for America’s Infrastructure, the American Society of Civil Engineers gives the infrastructure of American Schools a “D” grade. At least $270 billion are needed to modernize and maintain school facilities in the United States, but, as of 2012, government spending on school construction has been cut in half from 2000-2008 averages.
We’re stepping In
Heart of America is stepping in to address this growing and critical need. We create vibrant, engaging and safe places full of high-quality educational resources where children can learn and grow. These programs revitalize community spaces including elementary, middle, and high school learning environments into warm, vibrant places that engage students in learning.
Types of spaces we revitalize and create include:
- school libraries & media centers
- career & college access centers
- parent resource rooms
- technology labs
- science labs
- outdoor gardens
- mobile technology stations
We are proud to transform learning by creating spaces that are fresh and vibrant, professionally designed and constructed. These new spaces are engaging, stock full of age-appropriate furnishings, such as tables and chairs, computer workstations, and reading corners. These spaces are also resource rich with new technology, often including new laptop or desktop computers, netbooks, e-readers, iPads and interactive whiteboards. Additionally, all students receive new books to take home to add to their home libraries.
Service with tangible results
New technology, new books, bright futures
We create special events, book distributions, and read-aloud activities including:
- READesign Makeovers with learning environment transformations, technology tailored for each school’s needs, student take-home books, and activities for volunteers and parents. Spaces include libraries, classrooms, tech labs, career and college centers, resource rooms, cafeterias, and more!
- READiscovery Classroom Libraries with student take-home books and customized themes and activities for volunteers and parents. Themes include STEM, financial literacy, health and wellness, and character education.
- Online Resource Drives through our Books from the Heart® program with the opportunity for sponsors to select a market and engage employees to provide resources (books, e-books, technology) to an under-resourced school.
- DC-area Partner School Initiative – through our Books from the Heart® program, a group of under-resourced schools are selected each year to receive resources throughout the school year including books for students and classrooms, library books, e-books and more. Opportunity for sponsors to adopt a particular school for engagement and support throughout the year.
The Heroes of the Heart® Awards Program is a national recognition program that identifies inspirational individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to enrich the lives of others. The Heroes of the Heart® Awards Program is celebrated in schools across the country. The program also includes one service-based award scholarship: The Gee Whiz Kids® Service Award.
The Gee Whiz Kids® Service Award honors exemplary children age 12 and under, who represent the best of their schools and communities, the true heart of America.
Apply for a scholarship
Nominations for the Gee Whiz Kids® Award (ages 12 and under) are accepted between October 1 and December 1. Click here to apply today! http://bit.ly/GeeWhizApplication
Christopher Reeve Service Award: Thank you for your interest regarding the Christopher Reeve Service Award. Unfortunately, this award is no longer available. Please contact Christine Lucas (email@example.com) for additional information. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Past Gee Whiz Kids® Award Recipients
2015 – Brooke from Mount Olive, NC; Adelaide from Ketchikan, AK; and Wesley from Hanover, NH
2014 – Isabella R. Griffin, Ive Jones, and Marko Zirdum
2013 – Jessica Carscadden, Hannah and Alexander Laman, and Connelly Cowan
2012– Connor from Rochester, NY; N’Jhari from Tampa, FL; and Bailey from Tompkinsville, KY
2011 – Joshua from Miami Beach, FL; Sarah from Leesburg, OH; and Gabrielle from Mason, OH
2010 – Alexander from Lee’s Summit, MO; Anthony from Columbia, SC; and Marlee from Saginaw, MI
2009 – Joelie from Sand Springs, OK; Kamish from Carrollton, TX; and Coree from Wayne, NJ
The Heart of America Foundation’s Christopher Reeve Service Award was presented in honor of actor and activist Christopher Reeve, who was awarded a Heroes of the Heart Award in 2000. Mr. Reeve was recognized with this award based on his courage in overcoming his own physical challenges so that he could advocate on the behalf of others with disabilities. Each year through early 2016, this award was presented to an extraordinary youth who has demonstrated tremendous courage, compassion and caring in serving his or her community. Award recipients received a $1,000 scholarship for post-secondary education.
Past Christopher Reeve Award Recipients
2016 – Kayla Abramowitz from North Palm Beach, FL
2015– Isaac from Shreveport, Louisiana