We transform learning, we transform lives
Heart of America transforms desolate spaces into well-designed, welcoming environments that are conducive to learning. Working with our partners, we provide educational resources and tools to enhance these environments and ensure students get the most out of the redesigned environments. In order to ensure the long-term impact of these redesigned spaces, we rigorously screen and intentionally select sites that demonstrate both a need and a commitment to sustaining the vibrant learning environment.
The need is vast
The need for school repairs is vast. In their 2013 Report Card for America’s Infrastructure, the American Society of Civil Engineers gives the infrastructure of American Schools a “D” grade. At least $270 billion are needed to modernize and maintain school facilities in the United States, but, as of 2012, government spending on school construction has been cut in half from 2000-2008 averages.
We’re stepping In
Heart of America is stepping in to address this growing and critical need. We create vibrant, engaging and safe places full of high-quality educational resources where children can learn and grow. These programs revitalize community spaces including elementary, middle, and high school learning environments into warm, vibrant places that engage students in learning.
Types of spaces we revitalize and create include:
- school libraries & media centers
- career & college access centers
- parent resource rooms
- technology labs
- science labs
- outdoor gardens
- mobile technology stations
We are proud to transform learning by creating spaces that are fresh and vibrant, professionally designed and constructed. These new spaces are engaging, stock full of age-appropriate furnishings, such as tables and chairs, computer workstations, and reading corners. These spaces are also resource rich with new technology, often including new laptop or desktop computers, netbooks, e-readers, iPads and interactive whiteboards. Additionally, all students receive new books to take home to add to their home libraries.
Service with tangible results
An essential component of these programs is the engagement of volunteers, especially local youth, as well as corporate team members and other members of the community, in service and community involvement through school beautification and improvement activities, book distributions and one-on-one activities with students. The projects provide tangible results in the form of revitalized spaces, as well as the intangible results of engaging people in caring, compassionate community service to support children in need.
New technology, new books, bright futures
We create special events, book distributions, and read-aloud activities including:
- Makeovers with learning environment transformations, technology tailored for each school’s needs, student take-home books, and activities for volunteers and parents. Spaces include libraries, classrooms, tech labs, career and college centers, resource rooms, cafeterias, and more!
- Classroom Libraries with student take-home books and customized themes and activities for volunteers and parents. Themes include STEM, financial literacy, health and wellness, and character education.
- Online Resource Drives through our Books from the Heart® program with the opportunity for sponsors to select a market and engage employees to provide resources (books, e-books, technology) to an under-resourced school.
- DC-area Partner School Initiative – through our Books from the Heart® program, a group of under-resourced schools are selected each year to receive resources throughout the school year including books for students and classrooms, library books, e-books and more. Opportunity for sponsors to adopt a particular school for engagement and support throughout the year.
The Heroes of the Heart® Awards Program is a national recognition program that identifies inspirational individuals who have made extraordinary contributions to enrich the lives of others. The Heroes of the Heart Awards Program is celebrated in schools across the country as we recognize students and adults with our volunteer teams. Congratulations to all Heroes of the Heart® award recipients!